Monday, March 22, 2010

Chapin ---Written in the 1860s, could he be talking about me???

A Mr. Orange Chapin was commissioned to compile a genealogy of Deacon Samuel Chapin by an act of Congress in 1862. This book is nearly 400 pages long. He acquired much of his data from the historical collections of the Hon. Charles Sterns. Sterns was going to write an extensive history book on Springfield Mass.


Orange Chapin compiled the book--


The Chapin genealogy : containing a very large proportion of the descendants of Dea. Samuel Chapin, who settled in Springfield,



In the introduction of this book page vi, Mr Orange writes:

As to Josiah Chapin, another son of Dea. Samuel, I have not found any of his descendants who could make it convenient to furnish me with but a small portion of the names, &c. of his numerous posterity.....and may be of some use to some persons who may hereafter collect a genealogy of his descendants.

Written in the 1860s, could he be talking about me???

The descendants of Josiah Chapin continue to not be able to make it convenient to depart of much data. Yet, in the last 150 years there has been a small sprinkle of us "die-hards" that have pieced together data on the descendants of Josiah Chapin.

I honor those ladies (yes, so far they have all been ladies that I have found) and Mr Orange that recorded, compiled, and recorded family history. I find myself borrowing from each of their styles.

Helen Cox was methodical
, she was the one in the 1940/1950s sent letters to all family requesting data from each branch of the John Arnett Chapin family. She meticulously typed out a self published book of some 700 pages complete with book references and photographs collected from different family members.

And sweet Molly Chapin wrote long laborious stories of her family, their current occupations, and funny anecdotes.

Of late Helen Roberta Reed has spent much of her 72 years writing and compiling genealogy data.

Jeanette Reed provided long letters to Helen Reed that continue to be a wealth of information.

Late at night (it is now 2:10 am) Orange, the two Helens, Molly, my mom, and at times others keep me company, keep me typing, keeps me trying to continue this work of love. This is just a thank you to them ------we are the some persons referred to in the 1860s by Orange Chapin. And so the journey continues......

3 comments:

  1. It is amazing to see the torch of genealogy inspiration passed from generation to generation by the keeper of the family records. I distinctly remember at age 17 receiving from my father's cousin, a family group sheet to complete. A bit baffled, I sent our family information only later to discover genealogy to be my life calling.
    Dee
    Austin, Texas

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I've probably perused this book at the NEHGS library, but at the time I was probably in a big rush and just copied the relevant pages before moving on to the next book. You really "digested" this book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is the family of my mother's favorite grandmother. My mother was so very very proud of this heritage. So she put it early in my head that I was to do this work. I moved to San Diego two years ago and all Grandma Armenita Chapins belongs are in storage. It will not be long that I will no longer bear it and must retrieve my "treasures".

    ReplyDelete