Horse Creek reservation, the 1739 land grant of 21,774 acres
A Land Grant of Horse Creek reservation, from the English 1739 of 21,774 acres was brought to the Carolinas in 1765.
By the 1750s, the reign of Squirrel King (then in his 50s or 60s) apparently was drawing to a close. Other leaders, such as Mingo Stoby (also known as Succatabee) and a medicine man known by the British as the “Old Doctor” replace Squirrel King’s prominence in the colonial journals. Since Squirrel King’s name doesn’t appear after 1757, he may have died about that time, but there is no death notice.
His successor, Succatabee, told Carolina officials in 1765 that if they doubted the elders recall of the boundaries of their Horse Creek reservation, he asked for a resurvey of the 1739 land grant of 21,774 acres. References to this land grant and the plat exist in the colonial records, but the Carolina officials in 1765 stated the original plat had been missing for many years.
But by 1765, identification of boundaries wasn’t the issue. Boundaries were irrelevant to white settlers because British officials looked the other way.